[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: so, what now?

> Playing with CU-SeeMe has just reminded me how frustrating it is
> hacking on a big piece of software you don't understand, especially
> when you don't have access to the source code for half of it.
>
> I think the most important thing now is to start standardizing a
> kernel driver for the camera. That way, the people who know about
> stuff like network video can have an easy way to support our camera.

Sure.  Not a problem.  I've had only real helping hand, and his camera
is broken (or was..).  Sunday night I plan to release another version
of the driver, and hope to have some sample apps with it..  (ie, xqcam
now runs using the kernel driver I've developed.  Runs nice and smooth,
with no real flashing or changes..)

The biggest problem I can see with a kernel based driver, is how to
detect when the camera has messed up without hanging the kernel or slowing
down the read loops.

> I'm not sure how much support should be put into the kernel, how much
> can be left for a library. It's important that applications that use
> the camera don't need to run as root. (Although the permissions on
> /dev/camera have fun privacy implications. What does linux do about
> /dev/audio?)

Basic screen grabbing, with raw output.  Let the programs handle the rest.
The only other things I can think of are sync commands, so multiple readers
can be setup and locked-stepped on the frames, and ioctls to allow
setup of the brightness, contrast and whitebalance.

--
Thomas Davis			| Internet:	Thomas.Davis@mnscorp.com
Systems Consultant		| Snail Mail:	Suite 528

Follow-Ups: References: