[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

so, what now?

Playing with CU-SeeMe has just reminded me how frustrating it is
hacking on a big piece of software you don't understand, especially
when you don't have access to the source code for half of it.

I think the most important thing now is to start standardizing a
kernel driver for the camera. That way, the people who know about
stuff like network video can have an easy way to support our camera.

I'm not sure how much support should be put into the kernel, how much
can be left for a library. It's important that applications that use
the camera don't need to run as root. (Although the permissions on
/dev/camera have fun privacy implications. What does linux do about
/dev/audio?)

I'd be happy to help out with this effort, but I'm not sure how to
start. I've never written a device driver before, but am happy to
learn how to work on one. I'm also happy to test code, maybe hack a
bit to fix things.