[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: InterestedRe: color quickcam and linux

On 13-Aug-97 Alex Belits wrote:
>On Tue, 12 Aug 1997 hembree@mindspring.com wrote:
>
>>         I would be using it for a badging application. The user space version
 ha
>> s to slow a frame rate. The high resolution camera lags by as much as 10 seco
nds

>Low frame rate (<1fps) is caused by poor camera interface design, not by
>driver. And "lagging" for 10 seconds is definitely an application
>problem -- there simply is no place to "accidentally" buffer >2M of data
>that camera produces in 10 seconds at maximum frame rate in any existing
>or imaginable grabber unless it goes across the network, is passed
>through buffers, etc (for example, qcwebcam with Netscape can have such
>lag caused by buffering in TCP and applications).
>
>--
>Alex

        The delay is real. I can wave at the camera and count to ten before I se
e the wave on the screen. At 320x240, it's half that, and half again at 160x120.
There are no applications in between. I'm using cqcam-0.40b in Xwindows with the
 tcltk interface. The system I'm trying to get working is SCO ODT-5. I have a De
bian Linux installed on a laptop also, I get the same kind of results with it.
E-Mail: RHS Linux User <danny@mindspring.com>