[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cable Extension (Re: quickcam)

hmueller@mail.kabel.de,Internet writes:
>I doubt that 100 feet is possible with any kind of cable extension.
>Connectix says that 3
>feet is allowed, I was able to use a 6 feet
>parallel port extension.

Absolutely not. You may be able to get away with as much as 10 or even 20
feet if you're using very high quality shielded cable but even that's
pretty chancy. I think the trouble you may find with many of the parallel
extenders is that they cannot transmit as fast as the maximum speed of the
parallel port, and so use flow control to compensate. The result, I am
guessing will be very poor throughput from the quickcam. These devices work
fine with printers because the printer can only print so fast anyway, so
you can rarely tell the difference.  Definately try before you buy.

Mike Sharkey
X11 Development
SoftArc Inc.
msharkey@softarc.com