[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Even more on CU-SeeMe

> I've talked a bit with the NV author. The impression I get is that all
> this CU-SeeMe stuff in NV is marginal. In particular, the reflector
> support for NV-style CU-SeeMe has some deficiencies. The big problem
> is that CU-SeeMe seems to be locked up in proprietary stuff, no source
> code, no protocol specs. Knowing that, I'm pretty happy with what I
> can do so far.

While it is proprietary stuff, I do have the source code
to an Old reflector (3.3?)

> I also got the impression that NV's CU-SeeMe stuff was really intended
> to be used for multicast operation. I've never tried multicast, don't
> really know anything about it.

Yes... if your on Mbone, you can pick up multicasted CUSeeme streams
and make them available on your reflector.. which would be good for
something like NASA Select or something

> He expressed interest in adding QuickCam support to NV, by the way. I
> told him that the effort now was to build some standard interface to
> the camera, maybe a kernel device driver, and when that was done the
> NV support should be pretty straightforward. Hope that was right :-)

Yes.. it sounds right.. the kernel driver needs a little work tho,
it crashes my machine sometimes..

> There's also a rumour that someone (White Pine?) intends a Unix
> version of CU-SeeMe before too long. That would be awfully nice,
> especially if we could help out by providing them a quickcam interface.

I haven't heard of such, but it would be great.

> David Chow writes:
> >Good news! These two hosts work as reflectors!
> >192.233.34.5 vdorm.taponline.com
>
> Yes, they work for me too! Hooray! Now I don't feel so bad.
>
> Does anyone have a clever way to protect oneself from the bandwidth
> that a reflector sends down the pipe? I had to drop carrier twice just
> to protect my 28.8kbps link from those things. CU-SeeMe has some sort
> of receive throttle. I can't even make the NV "receive halfsize" work.

No.. you can't throttle it at all.. which is a real bummer..
but thats the way NV is.

> >So the problem is not with NV, but rather the reflectors (i've
> >tried nv on suns connecting to cucme and they don't work too)
> >The strange thing is... they report version 1.0-b3 ???
> >is that a production version from white pine???
>
> Anthony Rumble reports:
> >The Cuseeme/NV encoding in the Reflector is ENDIAN specific
> >(much like the problems in the NV program itself) and hence
> >you can ONLY speak to reflectors on Sun's etc.
>
> Oh, so there's an endianness problem in the reflector, but not NV?

NV had the same problem.. which is what the endian patch is for.

> I'm not sure what this implies - I confess I don't remember the
> endianness of all the different architectures. It works on a Sun: if
> the reflector is running on Linux, will it work?

No.. Ive never gotten the reflector on Linux to work to NV

--
Anthony Rumble - aka SmilieZ
Mobile 015-955-042 Pager 016-634-997