[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: load & brightness

Thomas Davis wrote:
> I'm game for changing the interface to what is defined.  But, I'm not
> game for changing it multiple times.  Let's get one standard, that _any_
> Unix system (BSD, SysV, UnixWare,  Solaris x86) can at least support.
> (Sorry OS/2 and NT people..)  Maybe even get the library and the drivers
> to be _one_ package...  Pick it up, and the package builds the library,
> and then uses THAT to build the driver for your system..  (in fact, One
> True Package would be really, really nice..)

I don't mind maintaining all of this, but I'm still a bit short on
time.  I've finally got my system put back together after my
motherboard upgrade -- ask me about debugging serial ports with
questionable serial hardware, flaky cables, and buggy modems sometime.
Anyway, I'd like to grab Thomas's bidirectional code and add it into
the library I've been sitting on, release another version with all of
the patches people have sent, and then see what can be done to roll the
kernel driver and the library into something approximating a coherent
whole.

Of course, if someone else with more time wants to handle this, I
certainly wouldn't be offended :-).  I can do it, but I can't promise 4
releases in the same week, like I did the first part of this year.

> >From the looks of it, only about 2-3 hundred quickcams have been sold
> because of our efforts.. (just kidding..  that's coming from my ftp
> logs..)  With the NV stuff, that should, say, triple, right?

I've had well over 2,000 hits on my FTP site.  I haven't tried to sort
out unique sites, but the anonymous FTP load has increased by at least
a factor of 5 over December.  That's without any sort of official
public announcement.

Scott
--
Scott A. Laird   |  "But this goes to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615"
scott@laird.com  |                - Nigel on his new 64-bit computer