[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: qcam on NetBSD

Jani Mattsson writes:
 > On Fri, 12 Jan 1996, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > >
 > > Problem is that the stupid 386 doesn't have a barrel shifter (shifts
 > > any number of bits in one cycle).
 >
 > 	As far as I know it has, you can do e.g. shl ax, cl or
 > 	shl ax, [8-bit immediate constant] on a 386. This takes
 > 	3 or 7 cycles depending on if the operand is a register
 > 	or a memory address, as many of the 386 instructions do,
 > 	and it's probably faster on a 486 or a Pentium...

Then hmmm, where is the time spent?  Thomas -- are you concluding that
a fair bit of time is spent in the unpacking from a guess or from
profiling?

But this is premature -- as Paul noted.  Have to get it all working first.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | Good government is a contradiction
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | in terms.  Ask me for details.

Follow-Ups: References: