[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mpeg encoder / recording

Thomas Davis wrote:

> Paul Loomer asks:
> >
> > Any ideas from the crowd?  Either in modifying the algorithm or
> > something about disk i/o to handle this.
> >

> Seperate reader/writer programs?
>
> Cache all of the frames in memory, and then write them out when done?  ie
Then you only get 8 meg or so of ram to re....ooops, stupid me, I forgot
that we're working in a *real* operating system here.
Tragically, years of DOS programming have rendered me fearful of doing
anything in memory that will take more than 64k. ;^)  I totally forgot
what virtual memory and swapping could do for me.

Simply doing everything in memory seems to work very well.  When disk
i/o is needed it occurs in pageswaps, which occur very quickly.  I was
able to record 28Meg of 15fps 160x120 w/out losing a single frame.

So I'll probably use that as the main method and offer writing to disk
as another option.

--
|  |  |     |     |     |  ___|  __  |   | Paul Chinn
|  |__|  |  |  |  | | | |  ___|      \   | loomer@1000klub.com
|_____|_____|_____|_|_|_|_____|__|\__|   | finger loomer@svpal.org for
PGP key