[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Next release delayed

Although I'm sure everyone was just dying to test the fourth release in
four consecutive days, I've decided to hold off releasing it until
tonight or tomorrow.  I just received an upgrade to the xqcam program
from Paul Chinn that adds on-screen controls for everything.
Unfortunately, I just don't have time to fetch the library it needs, so
I can't compile it, and I really don't want to release untested code.
I've also made a few changes to the qcam library, so I'm not even sure
if the new program will link.  I'll try to fix all of this ASAP so
people can have something to play with this weekend, but I can't see
the point of releasing something that probably won't work.

There are a few more changes I want to make, anyway.  I've got a couple
people interested in porting this to OS/2 and maybe DOS, and I'd like
to make a few subtle changes to help them.  Also, qcam-Linux.c is
getting too big for what it's suppose to do, so I'm going to reorganize
things a bit more.  Ideally, qcam-Linux.c will provide only the
functions that are needed by Linux (like the I/O functions and ioperm),
and another file will contain all of the generic Unix stuff, like the
locking code.  This should help when someone decides to port this to
other 386 Unixen.

I'm probably also going to try to make Paul's code use Xaw.  Yes, it's
ugly, but it's standard.  I really don't people to have to install
extra libraries just to run xqcam.  I may relent after a bit of time
working with Xt. :-)

Scott
--
Scott A. Laird   |  "But this goes to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615"
scott@laird.com  |                - Nigel on his new 64-bit computer