[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

That mysterious QuickCam

Wim Lewis writes:

 > The web page states that the PC version is probably just the Mac
 > version with a converter in the connector shell. Without actually
 > getting a Mac camera and ripping it apart to compare insides, this
 > seems very unlikely:

Yes, I've been told by someone who signed the nondisclosure that it's
NOT a Mac camera.  Probably the only things shared are the CCD, the
eyeball, and the case.

 > I've traced most of the interesting-looking parts of the camera board,
 > guessing at the identity of the unmarked SMT devices. I'm working
 > on the board in the connector, though I'm not sure how much good
 > that would do without knowing how the PIC is programmed.

No, I think that's the key -- knowing how the PIC is programmed.

 > If anyone else is approaching this from the hardware side, speak
 > up, we can compare notes.

I've been using a logic analyzer on the parallel port pins, but
someone pointed out that using it on the bus side of the parallel port
would tell me a LOT more about what the software is doing in terms of
I/O, which is, from my perspective, a lot more interesting.

 > Has anyone tried running the driver software under, say, WINE? Does
 > that work? Can WINE (or any other emulator) be configured to trap
 > and log accesses to certain I/O ports?

I know that DOSEMU can do that.

 > I'm not 100% familiar with the '386+ protection mechanisms, but it
 > seems this should be possible in theory.

Hmmm...  That would certainly work.  I don't think it would tell you
any more than the bus side of the parallel port though.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 (9201 FAX)  | Neither is a good choice:
Potsdam, NY 13676 |  Abortion is murder; forced childbirth is slavery.