[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: reverse engineering thousands of colors mode?

This subject popped up on the mailing list every now and then, but yet no
"task force" has formed who would start coding.

> Would there be a problem (legally) distributing source code containing
> this information?

The VIDEC compression used in 1000s of colours mode is patented (or patent
pending, I don't know exactly). As far as I know - yes, there IS a legal
problem.

However, I am preparing a "free VIDEC campaign" (sounds big, but will just
be a campaign to collect support signatures from everyone who cares). I am
trying to convince Connectix that there are a lot of developers out there
who want the 1000s of colours mode in third party software.

Wait for details on this mailing list. I'll keep you posted.

Greetings,

Hanno