[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quickcam device driver for Linux

> As much as I hate the portability headaches, I would support an effort to
> create a kernel driver to pass bytes directly (no buffering, translation,
> etc) from the camera to a read() call.  Any (de)compression, dithering, or
> resizing should be done in userspace, where malloc() is cheap and
> processes can be preempted.
>
> --Patrick

I'd agree with this, with the following proviso - that one could query the
device (via ioctl) to find out what output format the data would be. Having a
/dev/camera that just pumped out raw data without having some way of knowing
what the output format was would be a severe pain.

	Stephen
--
  The views expressed above are not those of WorkCover Queensland, Australia.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California

Follow-Ups: References: