Subject: license proliferation discuss (was RE: URL for archive of license-proliferation list)
From: lmajerus@speakeasy.net
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:12:29 +0000

 Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:12:29 +0000
Short answer: Sure. Good idea. Russ or Steve, can you make this happen? Call it license-proliferation-discuss@opensource.org
and subscribe everyone who's already on license-proliferation@opensource.org. People
can take themselves off if it's too many lists.

Can you also post the names of the committee on www.opensource.org? (see list below)
 -----

 Mark and all,

 The purpose of the license-proliferation list as it stands now is to keep the community
informed about what the license-proliferation committee is doing. Having a discuss list
in addition is a good idea. We should have had both lists from the start.

 There was a large discussion of license proliferation that took place several months
ago on license-discuss. I'm not sure that the group came to any kind of consensus except
that it was a real problem (defined different ways by different people) and that *something*
should be done about it. But I found it extremely interesting and helpful. More discussion
is good.

 The first action of the license proliferation committee is simply to rank/categorize/tier
existing OSI-approved licenses to try to give people a sense of which ones they should
consider first when picking a new license.  We are definitely not de-approving any licenses
or saying that they are no longer open source.  I see this as an iterative process and
believe me, we are no where near having final categories.

 If others want to suggest other projects to help reduce license proliferation, please
do.  For example, there was much talk of a license wizard for a while. Is someone interested
in taking ownership of that?

 The members of the license proliferation committee were chosen from volunteers and
are not secret. Not posting the names was my oversight. Here they are (I don't have
permission to post all these folks' emails):

 Mitchell Baker
 John Cowan
 Damien Eastwood
 Bryan A. Geurts