Subject: Re: question about copying small amounts of code from BSD, MIT or Apache 1.1 licensed open source...
From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:18:22 -0500

Rod Dixon scripsit:

> Yes, Larry, I agree completely.  The point I did not make at risk of making
> the BSD license seem more confusing than its brevity suggests was correctly
> identified by your post.  The BSD License applies to the derivative work,
> but does not require use with the distribution.

You guys are lawyers and I'm not, so I'll say what needs saying.
Using a snippet like that is almost certainly either fair use or
de minimis, and nobody using the BSD license is likely to be a
fanatic about it.  Even the FSF explicitly doesn't care about ten
GPLed lines or less.

--
Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers            John Cowan
Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan