Subject: Re: compatibility and the OSD
From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:33:38 -0400

Chuck Swiger scripsit:

> >>Doesn't the Python Software Foundation License, which corresponds to
> >>python-2.x, include the "ACCEPT" button from the CNRI Python v1.6b1
> >>license?
> >
> >IMHO no (IANAL, TINLA, as usual).
>
> My question was a point of fact, not a matter of opinion.

It just isn't a matter of fact, unfortunately; that is to say, it
would not be perverse to withhold (provisional) assent to the claim.
The question is whether the PSL license incorporates the earlier
licenses or merely quotes them.

> The shouted paragraph is repeated in clause 8 of the CNRI license,
> which is being inherited by derivative works such as Python-2.0 and
> later.

How do you know it is inherited?  That's a conclusion of law.

> Hmm.  Perhaps someone who is a lawyer might be able to confirm or deny
> whether the terms of the CNRI Python license have "no legal effect" on
> someone using a derived work of a PSF-licensed version of Python?

Surely you know better than to ask a lawyer for a legal opinion on a
mailing list.

--
John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic