Subject: Re: compatibility and the OSD
From: Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheifler@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:35:23 -0400

> Bob Scheifler writes:
>  > For the avoidance of doubt (I hope), here's a more fleshed out license
>  > (IANAL, this is still a sketch). Does the Simplistic Compatibility License
>  > conflict with the OSD?
>
> Yes, because one of the modifications that a license has to allow
> people to make is a transformation from source to executable form.

It would help me to be precise here. The license I sketched does
(I believe) permit the creation of derivative works in executable form,
without restriction. I think that satisfies the first clause of OSD#3.
The second clause of OSD#3 says that the license must permit derivative
works to be distributed under the same license; the license I sketched
does this (I believe). Where have I gone wrong? Is the intent of OSD#3 to
require that open *source* licenses be open *source and binary* licenses?

> It would be nice to know exactly what problem you're trying to solve.

I'm trying to understand the definitional boundaries of the OSD
as they relate to compatibility requirements.

- Bob