Subject: Re: The Copyright Act preempts the GPL
From: Alexander Terekhov <TEREKHOV@de.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:52:51 +0100

John Cowan wrote:
[...]
> A tarball that contains works by various authors is a compilation
> work; a compiled program made from that tarball is a derivative
> work of the individual files of the tarball, ...

Why is it a derivative work? I could imagine "a computer"
(interpreter) that can run "program tarballs". Why simple
addition of an intermediate step (required to run the
program) makes something a derivative work? Wouldn't that
mean that I'll need your permission to use this or that
compiler (in order to "prepare derivative work")?

regards,
alexander.