Subject: Licensing Model: open downstream apps or proprietary license
From: Mitchell Baker <Mitchell@osafoundation.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:39:04 -0800

The Open Source Applications Foundation (http://www.osafoundation.org)
is planning the 0.1 release of Chandler (a personal information manager)
shortly, hopefully by the end of April.  OSAF's plan of record for
licensing is to follow the model used by MySQL:  recipients must either
(a) make their entire application available under the GPL or other
approved open source license, or (b) get a commercial license from
OSAF.  I'm very interested in the thinking of this group about this
model.  The plan is reasonably firm but not set in stone, so I'd
appreciate hearing about potential pitfalls as well as benefits.

Mitchell