Subject: Free software using non free software, when does it become mixed up.
From: James Michael DuPont <mdupont777@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:33:40 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

I have been thinking about derived works, and licensing,
about liberation of modules from non-free dependencies. I had posed
this question before, but not very well worded, so here is my second
try.

When does a free software lose the rights to the function calls to
non-free software? Is it possible that just by calling functions from
another software that you become non-free?

If you had a test routine that would call every single function of a
non free software, exercize it's public interface totally, would that
not be a copy of the interface?

If you were to extract the structure of the non-free-software from the
compilers representation of that non-free interface, and generate a set
of "stubs", would that not just be a header file?

When is a header file under copyright?

Please advise,

mike

=====