Subject: License for approval
From: Andrew Josey <ajosey@rdg.opengroup.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:18:38 +0100
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:18:38 +0100
Dear OSI Board members,

Attached (ts-license.html) is a license for approval that we, The Open
Group, have been using in a slightly different form for our conformance
test suites, that we make freely available.

This is a modified version of the Artistic license. To
date we have been making available test suites
with the the following License (an example online is at
http://www.opengroup.org/testing/downloads/vsthlite-terms.html ) detailing
the modifications to the Artistic License. It has been suggested that
we merge the two into a single license and seek OSI Approval.

As well as the changes noted below, we have added text to the Preamble
explaining our motivation for the license, that we are trying to
ensure that these "benchmark" tests retain the integrity of the original
test modes if they are modified.

We believe this license is compatible with software distributed
under other open source licenses.

We also have a varient of this license, which we would appreciate feedback
on  where we have added an extra stipulation regarding disclosure of
test results:

	``Disclosure of test results, except for the purposes of reporting
	a suspected problem in the execution of the tests, or claims
	of "passing the tests" are not permitted without the previous
	written consent of X/Open (The Open Group).''

Our motivation for this is where we run a certification program for
which we wish to protect the value in the mark, yet still allow the
test suite to be made freely available.

The license may be posted with our identification.

Thankyou for your consideration.
best regards
Andrew

-----
Andrew Josey                                The Open Group
Director, Server Platforms                  Apex Plaza,Forbury Road,
Email: a.josey@opengroup.org                Reading,Berks.RG1 1AX,England
Tel:   +44 118 9508311 ext 2250             Fax: +44 118 9500110
Mobile: +44 774 015 5794

(existing example cover license, detailing the differences
between this and the Artistic license)

VSTHlite End User Licence
_________________________________

Copyright (c) 1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000 X/Open Company Ltd. (X/Open)
trading as The Open Group
All rights reserved except as granted by this License.

it under the terms of the "Artistic License" which comes with this
Kit, with the following modification:
        a) "executable(s)" should be interpreted to include
          "test case(s)"
        b) if you wish to make changes as defined in clause 2 and 3, and
         distribute a modified version of this package, then
        clauses 3c and 4c are required
        c) Clause 7 is rephrased as follows: "Subroutines supplied by you
        and linked into this Package shall not be considered part of this
        Package".

X/OPEN, TRADING AS THE OPEN GROUP, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO
THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL X/OPEN BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF
USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR
OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

You should have received a copy of the Artistic License with this
Kit, in the file named "Artistic".  If not, we'll be glad to provide one.

<title>The Open Group Test Suite License</title>
<h1>The Open Group Test Suite License</h1>

<tt>

Package may be copied, such that the Copyright Holder maintains some
semblance of artistic control over the development of the package,
while giving the users of the package the right to use and distribute
the Package in a more-or-less customary fashion, plus the right to make
reasonable modifications.</p>

Testing is essential for proper development and maintenance of
standards-based products.

For buyers: adequate conformance testing leads to reduced
integration costs and protection of investments in
applications, software and people.

For software developers: conformance testing of platforms and
middleware greatly reduces the cost of developing and
maintaining multi-platform application software.

For suppliers: In-depth testing increases customer satisfaction
and keeps development and support costs in check. API
conformance is highly measurable and suppliers who claim it
must be able to substantiate that claim.

As such, since these are benchmark measures of conformance, we
feel the integrity of test tools is of importance.  In order to
preserve the integrity of the existing conformance modes of
this test package and to permit recipients of modified versions
of this package to run the original test modes, this license
requires  that the original test modes be preserved.

If you find a bug in one of the standards mode test cases,
please let us know so we can feed this back into the original,
and also raise any specification issues with the appropriate
bodies (for example the POSIX committees).

<ul>

<li>	"Package" refers to the collection of files distributed by the
	Copyright Holder, and derivatives of that collection of files
	created through textual modification.</li>

<li>	"Standard Version" refers to such a Package if it has not been
	modified, or has been modified in accordance with the wishes
	of the Copyright Holder.</li>

<li>	"Copyright Holder" is whoever is named in the copyright or
	copyrights for the package.</li>

<li>	"You" is you, if you're thinking about copying or distributing
	this Package.</li>

<li>	"Reasonable copying fee" is whatever you can justify on the
	basis of media cost, duplication charges, time of people involved,
	and so on.  (You will not be required to justify it to the
	Copyright Holder, but only to the computing community at large
	as a market that must bear the fee.)</li>

<li>	"Freely Available" means that no fee is charged for the item
	itself, though there may be fees involved in handling the item.
	It also means that recipients of the item may redistribute it
	under the same conditions they received it.</li>

</ul>

Standard Version of this Package without restriction, provided that you
duplicate all of the original copyright notices and associated disclaimers.</p>

derived from the Public Domain or from the Copyright Holder.  A Package
modified in such a way shall still be considered the Standard Version.</p>

that you insert a prominent notice in each changed file stating how and
when you changed that file, and provided that you do at least  the
following:</p>

     names do not conflict with standard executables and testcases,
    which must also be provided, and provide a separate manual page for
    each non-standard executable and testcase that clearly documents
    how it differs from the Standard Version.</p>

executable form, provided that you do at least the following:</p>

    corresponding Standard Version executables and testcases, giving
    the non-standard executables and testcases non-standard names, and
    clearly documenting the differences in manual pages (or equivalent),
    together with instructions on where to get the Standard Version.</p>

Package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of this Package.
You may not charge a fee for this Package itself.  However,
you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software
distribution provided that you do not advertise this Package as a
product of your own.</p>

output from the programs of this Package do not automatically fall
under the copyright of this Package, but belong to whomever generated
them, and may be sold commercially, and may be aggregated with this
Package.</p>

and linked into this Package shall not be considered part of
this Package.</p>

products derived from this software without specific prior written permission.</p>

IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.</p>

</tt>