Subject: Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License
From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 12:02:32 -0400

Chris DiBona scripsit:

> OSI should not trade on its reputation lightly. Again, this is not a
> discussion about licenses but whether or not it is wise for OSI to
> enable its most vicious competitor.

When Abraham Lincoln announced to his cabinet after the Civil War that he
intended to forgive the Southerners and do whatever he could to restore
the South, his Secretary of State objected, saying, "Mr. President, I
think we ought to destroy our enemies." Lincoln answered him this way:
"Mr. Secretary, do we not destroy our enemies when we make them our
friends?"

A later U.S. President also said, "Trust, but verify."

--
John Cowan   cowan@ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand