Subject: Patent Liability Insurance
From: Bruce Alspaugh <compulinkltd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 16:41:37 -0500

One of the risks we see in creating an open-source project is the
possibility of being sued for inadvertently reinventing someone else's
patented idea.  Basic due diligence may be enough to avoid a copyright
infringement, but we aren't sure if that is the case for patents.
Patent searches could prove too expensive for many open-source
projects.  The cost of defending a patent infringement suit could put
many open-source projects out of existence.  Are there inexpensive ways
open-source projects can mitigate the risk of inadvertently infringing a
third-party patent?

I understand that is possible to purchase patent liability insurance.
How much does patent liability insurance typically cost?  How do most
open-source projects raise the revenue to pay for this insurance?  Do
any of the many foundations that assist open-source projects (Apache,
Mozilla, Eclipse, FSF, etc.) offer this insurance for the projects they
host?

Most open-source licenses I have seen disclaim any warranty of patent
non-infringement and therefore shift the legal risk onto the users.  Are
the users of open source software therefore expected to purchase patent
liability insurance?

Bruce Alspaugh