Subject: Re: Comparison of OSL
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:20:44 +0100
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 20:20:44 +0100
on Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 10:00:49AM +0200, Flet (flet@freesurf.fr) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anybody know of a comparisaon between the different OS licenses that
> exist and their pros and cons ?

Pros & Cons, not particularly.

Stromian Technologies (http://www.stromian.com/) has a good licensing
overview.  Likewise the FSF's licensing comparison page, which notes
whether or not licenses meet the FSF free software definition, and/or
are compatible with the GNU GPL:

    http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html

There's a table similar to one of the Stromian docs in  Open Sources ,
available online from O'Reilly.

The usual focus of license analysis is what the aims of the license are.
I used a "fear and greed" model -- noting largely that virtually every
free software license has a disclaimer of warrantee and liability, and
that most are intended for specific goals.  I find this a useful way to
approach a discussion.

Peace.

   The golden rule of technical design:  complexity is the enemy.

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]