Subject: RE: License Committee Report for May 2007
From: "Jim Sfekas" <sfekas@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:50:22 -0700
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:50:22 -0700

Russ Nelson wrote:
> > The OSI board met yesterday, and the board accepted all
> > recommendations except the first.  We:
> >
> > Rejected the SimPL because it intends to solve the same problem as
> > the GPL yet is incompatible with the GPL.  If the authors want to
> > revise their license so that it is GPL-compatible (as is the Artistic
> > License), then we will be happy to reconsider.
>
> It is.  I made sure of it; the latest version posted to the list says,
> "Licensing it to everyone under SimPL, or substantially similar terms
> (such as GPL 2.0);"

We think GPL 2.0 compatibility is an important feature for the SimPL, so
we've tried to incorporate suggestions from the list to make sure that the
SimPL is compatible.  We thought we were there per Matt Flaschen's feedback;
if not, please let us know what else might be needed to achieve that goal.

Just to be sure we're talking about the same version, I've attached the
latest version of the license, as posted to the list last week.

Thanks.

Jim Sfekas
Bob Gomulkiewicz

Simple Public License

Preamble

This Simple Public License 2.0 (SimPL 2.0 for short) is a plain language implementation of GPL 2.0.  The words are different, but the goal is the same - to guarantee for all users the freedom to share and change software.  If anyone wonders about the meaning of the SimPL, they should interpret it as consistent with GPL 2.0.

You may do anything that you want with the SimPL text; it's a license form to use in any way that you find helpful.  To avoid confusion, however, if you change the terms in any way then you may not call your license the Simple Public License or the SimPL (but feel free to acknowledge that your license is "based on the Simple Public License").

Simple Public License (SimPL) 2.0

The SimPL applies to the software's source and object code and comes with any rights that I have in it (other than trademarks). You agree to the SimPL by copying, distributing, or making a derivative work of the software.

You get the royalty free right to:

If you distribute the software or a Derived Work, you must give back to the community by:
There are some things that you must shoulder:
 The SimPL continues perpetually, except that your license rights end automatically if: